Recycling At Home
Help us make the most of your recycling
Whilst we would love to recycle all of the things you throw out, unfortunately it is not possible to recycle everything through your mixed recycling collection service.
There are some things, like food, that can make the rest of your recycling unusable. Other items, like clothes or cables, can damage the sorting machinery at the Materials Recycling Facility.
See the lists below to see what you can and cannot recycle in your mixed collection. And remember, please remove lids and discard, and give containers a rinse if they have food or liquid in them.
- Paper, card and Cardboard
- Glass Bottles and jars
- Plastic Bottles, pots, tubs and trays
- Cans and tins
- Shredded Paper
- Electricals and Cables
- All plastics not listed above
- Food waste
- Metal items
- DIY material
What you can do with items that cannot be recycled through your mixed collection
- Food waste and shredded paper can be composted in your garden. Contact your council for a subsidised compost bin.
- Clothes, books and toys in good condition can be donated to a charity shop, or taken to a textile bank. They can also be reused or recycled if they are taken to the reuse and recycling centre located at Smugglers Way, SW18 1JS.
- Electricals (anything with a plug or batteries) and Wood and Metal can be recycled if you take them to the reuse and recycling centre located at Smugglers Way, SW18 1JS.
- Other household items in good or repairable conditions can be collected from your home for reuse (check your local Council website for more details) or taken to the reuse and recycling centre located at Smugglers Way, SW18 1JS.