- Can you identify The Unusual Suspects?
- Let's Get Composting!
- WRWA and Cory response to the LGA Statement on Plastics - August 2018
- End of the Line for Waste
- Recycle Week 2018: 24 - 30 September 2018
- Saturday tours of the recycling centre
- Fire at the Smugglers Way Recycling Facility
- China's ban on certain waste materials
- Where does my recycling go?
Due to a number of explosions that have occurred during the processing of Aerosols in the Material Recycling Facility (MRF) at Smugglers Way, this Authority, at the request of Cory Riverside Energy, our waste management contractor, has stopped collecting Aerosols in the co-mingled recycling stream.
The explosions occur when the Aerosols are being compressed (baled) with other metals before transportation to the recycling re-processors. These explosions have the potential to seriously hurt the employees working in the MRF and to instigate a fire.
This means that we would like residents to stop placing Aerosols in their clear recycling sack, green bin or communal recycling bin with immediate effect.
The Aerosols will still be recycled when they are placed in the general waste stream (black bags). All our general waste is sent to an Energy from Waste plant to generate electricity and the metals are extracted for recycling from the ash produced in the combustion process. The ash itself is also recycled into aggregate for use in the construction industry.
Many thanks in advance for your co-operation.